3.17.2005

.. Important lessons from a six year old boy ..

I'm taking a Humanities course at school called "The Worlds of Childhood". One of the requirements is to spend hour hour per week acting as a reading buddy for a local elementary school. It's amazing the things I am learning about myself through this experience. About expectations, biases, stereotypes...Pieces of my personality I never knew existed are being exposed. I can't say I'm pleased with the things I've uncovered. But I'm certainly glad that I've uncovered them.

My reading buddy moved away a few weeks ago. I was amazed at just how sad I was that he was gone! In total we'd only spent about 15 hours together since October. I miss our one hour together each week. Now I have to work with a new person each week. But it's just not the same

-------------------------------------------------

I'm resolving to
  • Be less judgemental to people before I know them, and after a first encounter. First impressions are not everything, and sometimes people surprise you with their true selves.
  • Stop expecting the same results from people that I expect for myself. Each person I encounter is very different from me, and I need to learn to accept that.
  • Stop jumping to conclusions when I don't know the whole story
  • Stop getting angry about things I have no control over. Life happens - I need to learn to deal with it properly
  • Write in here as many days of the week as possible. And to do it because I want to, not becauses someone else thinks that I should

I think that's all for now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home